Yep, I said it. Paleo’s not hard.. for me! The basics of Paleo (animal meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit) is not too far off of my preferred daily diet. Here are my top 6 reasons why Paleo’s not hard.. for me.
- My regular nutrition didn’t include much pasta, bread, or other grains, so that wasn’t a hard thing for me to eliminate. I’m a petite person and learned early on that less starchy carbs was a great thing for maintaining a healthy weight. That being said, I’ve spoken to many people who can’t even fathom WHAT they would eat if they didn’t eat grains! That would make going Paleo 10x harder.
- Dates, apples, and larabars satisfy my sweet tooth. The first few days of Paleo, I definitely crave all.the.sugar, but after a week or two, my sugar craving is easily satisfied (most days) by fruit or date-based treats. My love for dates makes it do-able. On days where I REALLY crave sweets, there are tons of Paleo dessert recipe options AND there is a froyo place near my house that has Almond Milk vanilla froyo – BOOM!
- Blobs of cheese don’t sound appealing to me… unless I’m hungover! When I stop to THINK about what a vat of Queso dip is, it’s enough to make me grossed out. Saying no to cheese gives me zero pause for thought. That being said, Greek Yogurt was a challenge for me at first. It wasn’t that I craved it that much, it was more of the convenience of grabbing yogurt to go. Once I discovered some replacements (Larabars, hard boiled eggs, nuts), I was good!.
- Almond milk tastes better. I love using Almond Milk in my coffee, in my scrambled eggs, you name it! I had already made that swap due to preferring the taste, so learning that it is Paleo was awesome. One bad thing is not all coffee shops have almond milk as an option (COME ON STARBUCKS). I’ve found the coffee shops around my home and work that have it and try not to stray.
- No calorie counting. This might be my favorite part. If you’re hungry on paleo, eat! I usually ask myself: Am I hungry enough to eat veggies? If the answer is yes, eat away! If the answer is no, it’s probably just a craving and I’ll try to drink some water and eat an apple to let it pass. With all of the protein and veggies, I am almost always full, but not bloated. A great feeling.
- I feel amazing! Having consistent energy levels all day, sleeping well throughout the night, and honestly having my clothes fit better… are enough to make me keep on keeping on! Obviously this takes a couple of weeks to start feeling this way, so at first it was helpful to remember how I felt the first time around. If you have NEVER eaten Paleo, you will just have to trust the process at first.
Honestly, the hardest part about Paleo for me is EVERYONE ELSE. The amount of questions, speculation, concern, opinions that I get from others can really bum me out. Some people are truly interested in my success and happiness and want to learn more, which I love. Others seem to hate what I’m doing for whatever reason, and it does get to me sometimes. I try to remember…