Have you ever had one of those crazy weekends where you roll right into Monday with your hair on fire going a million miles an hour and all of the sudden you look up and it’s Wednesday and you haven’t eaten a vegetable or hit a good REM sleep in days? I have definitely been there. It’s made me really appreciate the healthy habits that I have to start my week off on the right foot. Even if I don’t have a lot of time, I still try to do what I can because every little bit counts.
- Grocery shop and meal prep: Although this one is pretty boring, it’s by far my priority above all else. Nutrition is the most important thing to your health.. even if you don’t have time to exercise or are recovering from an injury, if you’ve been eating nutritiously, you’ll feel and look great! I always make sure to have my fridge stocked with protein and veggies by the time Monday rolls around. If I have a crazy weekend or am on vacation, I will order instacart groceries delivered to my door so that I have fresh groceries to start my week. #noexcuses The extra step that makes all the difference is to meal prep as much as you can. Even if that means you’re just grilling/baking some protein to have on hand. That alone can make a big difference since you can throw some grilled chicken into almost ANY meal.
- Spend time designing your week: I use the word design intentionally here. Look at the days lying ahead of you and really think about what it is that you want to accomplish. Think about your goals and what makes you happy and figure out how to make it fit. Whether that’s scheduling your workouts, identifying friends or family you want to connect with, making a reservation for a date night with your husband… make room!! There’s nothing more satisfying for me than ending a week feeling like I fit in the things that are most important to me rather than just letting the days pass passively.
- Do your top priority household chores: We all have them. Our household “things” that drive us crazy if they’re not in order. For me that is 1) Laundry done and PUT AWAY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. There’s nothing worse than doing laundry but then living out of your laundry pile for days. I can never find matching socks and why is my underwear always stuck inside of my pants? Just put it away! 2) A clean kitchen with an empty sink. For whatever reason, this brings me immense peace and satisfaction. Luckily with only 2 of us and a super small kitchen, it doesn’t even take that long to clean. Scrambling to pack my lunch on Monday morning with a messy kitchen is the WORST.
- Make Sunday a day of no plans and rest: We don’t do this every weekend, but MANY weekends we make Sunday a day to slow the F down. We don’t make plans with anyone and we spend part of it relaxing and part of it being productive. I like to keep the pace slow but also get the things done that I know will put me in the mindset to have a great week. Yes this means that my definition of Sunday Funday might differ from most, but I’m totally ok with that. I think it’s important that at least one day of the week (or part of a day), you take the time to step away from the rest of the world and disconnect. Reflect on how you’re feeling and what’s going on in your life with little to no distraction.
- Change your sheets: A night of sleep in a bed with fresh sheets is just better. It just is. I have no clue if that’s backed by science, but I believe it whole-heartedly. It is the best feeling in the world to slip into bed on Sunday night with fresh sheets and get a great first night of sleep to kick off the week. Maybe that’s because our shedding Puggle sleeps in bed with us and that can’t be healthy… but that’s neither here nor there. Related to this one would be, go to bed early on Sunday night. Do NOT make this your night to catch up on all.the.shows. Bite the bullet and shut it all down early, pop some melatonin, and get some solid shut-eye so that you don’t start your week off tired.
Prioritizing even just a couple of these things will really help to ensure you’re starting your week off on the right foot. I’d love to know what healthy habits you have to kick-start your week off on the right foot!